About Me.....

Hi my name is Shannon Smith and right now I am a sophomore here at the University of South Alabama. My major is Special Education grades 6-12. I plan on getting a degree in all levels of Special Education, but 6-12 is my main interest so I decided that I wanted to start off getting that degree. I came to South Alabama from Katy, Texas where I spent much of my time in high school helping out with the special education classes. My senior year of high school I also did a program called Ready, Set, Teach where I spent three hours every morning observing and student teaching in all elementary grade level classes. We got to create small and large group lesson plans and we had to use them in different classrooms and create them according to what the students were learning at the time. I am very excited about becoming a Special Education teacher and the experience that I have had so far has given me a good idea of what I am going to be doing!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

How I Plan to Contribute to This World as a Special Education Teacher

I am very excited about gettin my degree in Special Education. It is something I have had a passion for for a very long time. As the need for special education teachers grow, I think more and more about how I am going to contribute to it.

I plan on devoting as much time to my kids as needed. Whatever is needed to make sure that they are excelling everyday and making progress I will do it. These kids are amazing to me and I love to see how much potential they have to be the best they can be and I want to do my part in making sure that happens. On top of being just a regular teacher I would like to create a summer program whereever I live in which students can come to during the week and make sure that they keep up to speed with everything they have learned. The summer, as relaxing and amazing as it can be, can also put a damper on any child's learning progression. If they have a place in which they can come on a regular basis to make sure that they do not get "rusty" and lose these skills, I will believe it will be much easier for them to excel later in life. I also understand that parents work a lot in the summer and may not get the same breaks their children do and it can be difficult for them to find someone to take care of their kids everyday when they are not around. I want to provide a safe and educational place in which the parents can trust to leave their children during the summer and know that they are gettin the attention that they need and deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment